This is a successful school and your child plays their part in making it so. For our children to gain the greatest benefit from their education it is vital that they attend regularly and your child should be at school, on time, every day the school is open unless the reason for the absence is unavoidable.
It is very important therefore that you make sure that your child attends regularly and this Policy sets out how together we will achieve this.
Why Regular Attendance is so important:
Any absence affects the pattern of a child’s schooling and regular absence will seriously affect their learning. Any pupil’s absence disrupts teaching routines so may affect the learning of others in the same class.
Ensuring your child’s regular attendance at school is your legal responsibility and permitting absence from school without a good reason creates an offence in law and may result in prosecution.
The target for all children is 96%. The school works extremely hard to ensure that all children have good attendance. These are some of the things that we do:
- bronze, silver and gold badges for children with 100% attendance for 1, 2 or 3 terms in the year
- a ticket for the cinema to all children who receive a 100% badge
- class rewards for the best attendance and punctuality
- attendance information on the weekly newsletter
- monthly monitoring of attendance by the learning mentor
- parents invited into school for panel meetings where attendance is a concern
- parenting contracts
- referrals to PAST (Pupil Attendance Support Team)
- fixed penalty notices issued for leave in term time (5 days or more) and unauthorised absence
- first day response text message and phone calls when children are absent from school.
- termly traffic light letters issued to parents so they are aware of their child’s attendance throughout the year.
- Asking for medical proof if children are repeatedly absent from school because of illness.